Waterways Cruises and Events believes that although we may grow old, we never grow up! Especially in this generation, we are seeing seniors choosing active lifestyles. We developed our first senior cruise over seven years ago, and have made many friends over the years with our senior guests. Did you know that the owner of Waterways Cruises is herself over 70 and has owned the business since 1994. She says, “surrounding herself with interesting and creative people, putting a smile on our customers’ faces, together with her passion for the business, keeps her young”. Our Captains and staff always volunteer and look forward to these cruises, because our senior guests are such a delightful and happy group to be around.
1. Plan Ahead and Fill Your Calendar. The experts say it is no surprise that if you want to get something done, you need to make a plan. What are your top five interests? Even if you have a unique hobby, like paddle boarding or rowing, you can easily find groups of similar age and interests online. Not a hobby oriented person? You can always check special events calendars to see what fun activities are in your area!
2. Keep Up with your Contacts. It is always good to keep in touch with your friends, but it is just as important to occasionally reach out to acquaintances. With your friends, your activities will generally be centered around your shared interests. This is a great way to pass the time, however it may not change the scenery much. By reaching out to those who may be outside of your usual social group, you reach out to other activities and new social groups who might add some spice to your calendar.
3. Keep within your ability. If there is one golden rule to being active, it is ‘know thyself’. Although it is good to try new things, it is important to trust your instincts. Only go scuba diving if you are confident in your swimming ability, only go sailing if you can trust your skills and your team. If you feel safe, you will probably enjoy what you are doing more.
4. Manage your Pain. Nothing keeps you from being active like pain. According to the National Institute of Health 11.2% of all U.S. adults experience chronic pain. Not only is this pain debilitating, it can often trigger depressive episodes, which is why it is so important to not just “walk it off”.
Three simple tips from the experts to keep away the pain:
- Stretch. It’s good for your muscles; it’s good for your tendons; and it’s good for your psyche.
- Listen to Your Doctor. Whether it is a physical therapist or family doctor, they are there to help you.
- Stay Active. Try to get outside, go for a walk, or go dancing--the better you take care of your body, the better it will take care of you. This is true for anyone of any age.
5. Stay Curious. When opportunity arises, run with it. Some of the most interesting people I know had major life events happen to them by accident. Whether it was a last-minute decision to grab a flight to Australia, or taking a chance and talking with absolute strangers, they always stayed curious about the people and world around them.
At Waterways, we believe everyone should experience the splendor of the Pacific Northwest. With great appreciation for our senior guests, we invite you to join us on any of our relaxing Senior Lunch Cruises. By no means are we lacking in opportunities for a great experience on the water. We offer:
• Locks, Lakes and Lunch Cruise-September 13, 11:30am-1:30pm
• Locks and Afternoon Tea Cruise-September 13, 3:30pm-5:30pm
• Oktoberfest Senior Lunch Cruise-September 27, 11:30am-1:30pm
• Fall Foliage Lunch Cruise-October 25, 11:30am-1:30pm
• Thanksgiving Lunch and Bingo Cruise-November 22, 11:30am-1:30pm
• History of Seattle Lunch Cruise-November 8, 11:30am-1:30pm
• Holiday Lunch Cruise- December 6 and December 20, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
With so many options to choose from, you will have no trouble filling your calendar with fun! To our seniors who have given so much to provide the younger generations with opportunities that were previously unavailable; thank you.
--Blog post written by A.K. Rembold
Jun 29, 2017
Jun 07, 2017
Click for more blogs